Ready for my conversation with Carol? Here you go:
Carol is part owner of the Horse Pen 46 Hostel in Shaxi, China. This rates as one of my all-time favorite hostels. I guess it should, considering that I stayed there for nearly a month.
You can also find Carol on Facebook and Wechat (ID = carolwpo)
- I found a cool website dedicated to Chinese Shadow Puppetry. Here's one of their videos:
- I mentioned the book Touching the Void by Joe Simpson. It is available on Amazon.
- Nitrogen narcosis happens when you breath pressurized nitrogen (for example, while scuba diving), usually at depths of over 30 meters. It makes you feel drunk, and maybe a little happy.
- I briefly mentioned China's massive ghost cities. These cities are jaw-dropping, especially when you see them in real life. For more information, the book Ghost Cities of China by Wade Shepard is worth checking out.
- Many aboriginal groups in Australia identify six (or more) seasons. Here's some more information from trusty Wikipedia.
- Added to my list of places to visit: Rui Li (瑞丽), a small Chinese town on the border with Myanmar, and Shishuangbanna (西双版纳), another Chinese town near the border with Laos.
And now, for some photo fun: