Download this Episode (right-click and choose “save as”)
- Workaway is a website to connect travelers with local families, promoting meaningful work and volunteering around the world.
- WWOOF is a similar organization, with a focus on organic farming.
- For an interesting take on the idea that the golden era of travel is in the past, check out this discussion between Rolf Potts and Sean Keener.
- Permaculture is the development of agricultural ecosystems intended to be sustainable and self-sufficient. For more info, check out the Permaculture Principles website.
- Here’s some more info on the Monsanto Roundup cancer lawsuit.
- Popular Mechanics has an article talking about the problems with Ford Pintos gas tanks.
- Not long ago, many experts were predicting that the world would soon run out of oil. But today, more and more people are predicting that decreasing demand will cause the collapse of the oil industry by 2030.
- Maybe, just maybe, this bag made from cassava will come to replace plastic. (Maybe.)
- This article talks about the frustrating state of recycling in Hong Kong.
- Here’s a list of ten Korean revenge films.
- And I found the article I mentioned, that attempts to persuade us to ban smoking (or maybe not).
- Mayo Clinic has an article on the cause and symptoms of toxoplasmosis.
- Here’s an article on the symptoms of mold toxicity.
- All My Pets is an episode of the Reply All podcast that follows a youtuber who shows off her pets.
This video shows two guys on a small farm planting potatoes. Now you know.
Here’s a photo of some local villagers planting potatoes on the Annapurna Circuit. How many tractors do you see in this photo?
These are both photos of Poon Hill, one with people, one without. Which one is more accurate?
Here’s an insane video of a wild elephant charging a man.
Here’s a similar video, this time with a gorilla.
October, 2001. I was in a bar in London and two women asked to borrow my camera because they wanted to photograph a sign in the restroom. A few minutes later they returned, snickering. A couple weeks later when I got the film developed, I saw that this was the photo they had actually taken. Talk about a funny prank that you can’t do anymore!
Here’s a video explaining the concept of a cat cafe.